By McKenzie Williams
Soon the snow will fall, and cover every nook of little Libby. Before that happens though, there are some things you should know.
Scott Kessel, our Chief of Police, wants to get the word out to our community about snow removal on city streets and sidewalks.
One of the many ordinances for the City of Libby refers to snow removal on sidewalks. The Ordinance states.
‘It shall be the duty of any occupant of any premises within the city limits or in case the same are unoccupied, then the owner or his agent, to keep the sidewalks in front of and adjoining his premises clean and safe for pedestrians, and to repair the same from time to time. The occupant, owner, or agent shall, with reasonable dispatch, remove snow, ice, slush, or mud, or other impediments to safe and convenient foot travel and prevent the continuance and accumulation of the same. A violation of any provision of this section is a municipal infraction punishable as set forth in Section 1.28.010.’
In other words, don’t forget to shovel your sidewalks.
That’s not the only thing you should know. During the winter season there are parking restrictions too. From Nov. 1, through March 13, parking restriction are in effect during snow removal. The ordinance states no vehicle shall be parked:
‘On any street within the city which runs in a north and south direction, between the hours of 4 a.m. and 8 a.m., Mountain Standard Time;
On any street within the city which runs in an east/west direction, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 12 p.m., MST.
On the following streets between 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m., MST:
- Mineral Ave from First Street to Tenth Street;
- Louisiana Ave from Second Street to Tenth Street;
- Montana Ave from First Street to Tenth Street;
- California Ave from Ninth Street to Tenth Street;
- Main Ave from Second Street to Tenth Street;
- Idaho Ave from Second Street to Tenth Street;
- Second Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Third Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Fourth Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Fifth Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Sixth Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Lincoln Boulevard from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave;
- Eighth Street from Montana Ave to Idaho Ave; and
- Tenth Street from Louisiana Ave to Idaho Ave.’
Any vehicle found parked on any city streets during the snow removal times, will be subject to impoundment.
There are penalties for violating this city ordinance as well. Unless otherwise specifically provided, any person violating any provision of this code is guilty of a municipal infraction and shall have imposed a civil penalty of not more than three hundred dollars ($300.00) for a first infraction.
Pay attention to where you park when it snows, and enjoy the fluffy white stuff as much as you can.