The Montana Department of Transportation (MDT) will resume construction of the US-2 Swamp Creek East project on Monday, May 6. The project is located approximately 15 miles southeast of Libby in Lincoln County.
Crews will continue work to replace a bridge over Swamp Creek reconstructing and widening five miles of US-2. Noble Excavating from Libby is the prime contractor on the project.
The project includes; widening the travel lanes to 12 feet, adding four-foot shoulders, repaving the roadway, and replacing a bridge over Swamp Creek with a wider single-span concrete bridge.
“A significant portion of the new bridge over Swamp Creek was constructed last year,” said MDT Engineering Project Manager Drew Fetters. “However, we still have about six months of construction ahead of us this year to complete the road widening and repaving.”
- Motorists will drive on gravel surfaces.
- At times, traffic will be reduced to one lane and controlled with pilot cars, flaggers and traffic signals.
- Motorists should expect 15-minute delays.
- Work will take place during daylight hours, typically 6 a.m. until 10 p.m.
- Traffic patterns will shift and change.
- The speed limit will be reduced.
MDT has developed a project website where the public can find information and updates on construction activities. The public can sign up to receive email notifications about changes to traffic and construction activities by texting SWAMPCREEK to 22828.
MDT encourages motorists to allow extra travel time when using US-2 and to slow down and use caution when traveling through construction zones.
Submitted by Brandon Coats