With cabin fever beginning to get to folks, landfill employees have noticed that many residents are cleaning out clutter that has built up in their basements and garages. Here is a friendly reminder about what can and cannot be disposed of at the landfill or the other container sites located around Lincoln County.
Acceptable items at the Libby landfill include the following:
- Concrete: please have any rebar or wood posts protruding from concrete cut prior to disposal. The gate attendant will direct you to the proper location.
- Paint and Stain: Please remove lid and harden or add sand/sawdust to dry up liquid prior to brining to the landfill.
- Refrigerators/Freezers/Air conditioning units: Remove door and dispose all products inside refrigerator/freezer. The gate attendant will direct you to the appropriate dumping site.
- : You must always inform gate attendant upon arrival for proper disposal location. Large animals such as horses and cows must be brought in before 4 p.m. and a phone call prior to bringing it out is appreciated.
- Fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs: Fluorescent bulbs are allowed in household waste. Compact fluorescent bulbs should be placed in a zip-lock bag and delivered to the gate attendant for disposal.
- Stove/Fireplace ashes: Deposited in the designated dumpster.
- Household hazardous waste in quantities of less than a gallon: Please inform the gate attendant and he will determine a dumping location.
- Sharps and needles: Inform gate attendant upon arrival and have items in a closed puncture resistant container such as a coffee can.
- Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) must always be reported to the gate attendant upon arrival.
- Furniture, carpet, sheetrock and all other refuse are accepted in the household waste.
- Used motor oil/antifreeze and vehicle batteries are to be put in the designated waste areas. The gate attendant will direct you to them upon your arrival.
- Rechargeable batteries are accepted at the Gate Shack for recycling.
- Bulk Liquids: NOT accepted at any landfill location. Please call for disposal options.
Items NOT accepted at residential green box sites around Lincoln County include the following:
Gasoline, used oil, soil, concrete, ashes, dead Animals, appliances, Asbestos Containing Material (ACM), hazardous waste, vehicle batteries, tires, explosives, scrap metal, radioactive material, demolition debris and furniture.
We’re beginning to see an excess of trash litter along Pipe Creek Road recently. Please remember the regulations regarding how refuse is supposed to be transported: Garbage or refuse transported on roads within the County must be protected from the wind and be loaded in such a manner that none of it shall fall, drop or spill upon the roadway. Rubbish and refuse shall be transported in such a manner as not to litter a roadway.
Not complying with this regulation can result in a citation or even worse, result in an accident which you would be held responsible for. At the Libby landfill site, there are cameras set up to capture your load upon entering to document if you have it secured or covered. Covering or securing your load will keep money in your pocket, you’ll be keeping our roads safer, and most of all you’ll be doing your part to keep Lincoln County beautiful.