Weekly Tax Tip

Montana Tax Tip: First-time filers need to keep address updated


Keep your mailing address current with the department. Otherwise, your state income tax refund could be delayed.


Here’s why: Due to security measures to combat fraud, the department sends refunds only as paper checks to first-time filers – not by direct deposit. And, the Post Office will not forward these to your new address.


Changing your address with the Montana Department of Revenue is easy. You can download a change-of-address form at revenue.mt.gov (Click on “Forms”). Or, call our Call Center at (406) 444-6900.


Montanans who haven’t filed state returns in three years or more – those who last filed in 2016 or earlier – will also receive any refund on a paper check.


In 2018, about 2,000 state income tax refunds were returned to the department before eventually finding their rightful owners.


Remember, it could take up to 90 days to receive your refund. To check on yours, go to revenue.mt.gov and click “Where’s My Refund.”

Tax tip courtesy of Department of Revenue